Thursday, May 7, 2009

Update: Thursday Afternoon

All,
It is 4:30 in the afternoon and I wanted to take an opportunity to give you a quick update on where things stand. Dad was moved into a regular room in the hospital (5th floor of Rex Hospital) late yesterday afternoon. He's been on a fairly high dosage of diloden to help ease the pain (morphine wasn't strong enough) and he's pretty much been asleep for 24 hours now. He's occasionally unsettled and gets restless in bed, but after we work to get him repositioned, he gets settled once again.

Mom, Cassie and I met with a team from Hospice of Wake County this morning. We asked yesterday for dad to be referred into the care of Hospice here within the hospital. The people we met with were very helpful and extremely gentle. They patiently answered our questions and provided us with insight into how they can help in the days to come. As of now, we are currently under the care of the Hospice team in addition to the team at Rex. That basically means that we will get visits from the Rex nurses AND a nurse from the Hospice team (though we haven't had a visit from a Hospice nurse other than our meeting this morning). Additionally, we are waiting for a room to open up within the Hospice unit here at Rex. There are six beds in that unit and the accommodations are a little better than a regular room (including for the family).

The Hospice team provided us with some materials on what to expect in the coming days. Hospice has a nice booklet that they've created titled "Gone From My Sight: The Dying Experience." Some of the symptoms we can expect to see would be lots of sleeping, picking at clothes (unable to get comfortable), trouble with congestion/respiration and a decrease in blood pressure. There are many, many more signs in the booklet, but they are too many to list here. While it is difficult to have these types of conversations, it is also helpful as knowing some of what to expect can take away some of the confusion/fear.

As I've been writing this post, Dad woke up briefly. He let mom know that he wanted a sip of water. As I walked over to be in his line of site, he saw me and gave a simple "hey buddy," which is the normal way he's always referred to me. It was wonderful to hear that phrase one more time.

We've been very fortunate to have a few visitors the past 24 hours. In fact, dad's sister Ann Cox and my Uncle Pete are here visiting now. We are truly blessed to have wonderful family and friends such as all of you. I do want you to know that you are welcome to come by for brief visits, but please be aware that the visit will mainly be with Mom, me or Cassie.

Lastly, I want to ask that you will remember each of us in prayer, including Cassie's husband Josh and my wife Melinda. Josh and Melinda have been tremendous supporters for each of us during the past 6 + months. A lot of times they have been in the background taking care of us when we can't seem to go on and making sure that life continues on as normally as possible. Melinda, in particular, has worked very hard to take care of Anna and Ryan-- our children-- by patiently answering Anna's questions and making sure that they get to do all the "normal" things that a four year old and soon-to-be one year old (on May 18) would do. That's not easy.

So, that's the latest for today. I hope to have more news soon about being moved to the hospice unit. Once I do, I'll post an update. Thank you for your prayers and support.

8 comments:

  1. I'm praying for Norman and for your whole family in the days to come...for calmness of spirit...for presence of mind...for physical strength and endurance...for the assurance of God's presence with you, and in you...for clear thought...for the absence of fear...for you, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger and Donna LangleyMay 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM

    Brenda and family,
    Our hearts go out to all of you. We will definitely keep Norman and all of you in our prayers. We pray for comfort and strength for you and the family and peace for Norman. We are out of town until next Tuesday, but hope to get to see you when we get back home. Love to all, Roger and Donna Langley

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really difficult to know what to say. We will continue to pray for Norman and your family as we have each day. Please make sure Norman knows what a great influence his life is on so many people, the high regard everyone has for him, and the example he sets for us all.

    Dusty & Jan Wall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts are with you. Norman is blessed to have such a devoted family. In fact two families - his biological one and his spiritual one. We our blessed to have Norman in our church family and in our community.

    Thanks for the updates.

    Daphne and Kate Lyon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon--
    You've been in my thoughts so often. I talked with Melinda today and told her that I'm available however/whenever you need me. I'm specifically praying now that a spot will be available in the Hospice unit for your family. In the coming days, I hope that you, Cassie, and your mom will have good memories of all the little things like the "Hey, buddy"'s.

    Much love--Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this update, Jon.

    This is not easy, but it is another step towards peace and letting go. It seems as though your Dad is ready and is making sure all of you are. It's good that you and your family have been provided materials by Hospice.

    I'm remembering some now when my Dad had hospice at home his last week in September of 2004. He wanted to make sure all of us would be taken care of...and we have been. I know that God is taking care of you right now.

    Well, I need to go now. I hope that all of you will get some rest!

    Greg

    PS - My nephews were ages 7 and (almost) 3 when my Dad passed. It's good to know that you and Melinda are also there for your children (especially Anna) as well during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon,

    I've had many lunches with your Dad over the years and the conversation always turned to his family. He is so proud of you and your sister. I am touched by the strength and faith that you have shown during your Dad's illness.
    Take care and God Bless,

    ReplyDelete
  8. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know your dad through work. I went through an extremely similar situation with my father 5 years ago (sounds like the same illness.) your friends and family are the ones who will get you through this.

    Take care, Brian Maglione and the employees at Ferguson Enterprises.

    ReplyDelete